The Monastery of Mary the Queen was originally founded in Elmira, New York in 1944. Since 2014, through the generosity of the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, we have been residing at their property at 1237 West Monroe Street. We will remain at this location until the completion of our new structure which is anticipated in March 2022. This translocation is a leap of faith towards actively fulfilling our dream of creating a new synergy with our Dominican family, the diocese of Springfield and the entire church.
To facilitate our Dominican contemplative life within the diocese of Springfield, Illinois we purchased 38 acres of greenfield land in Girard, Illinois. With anticipated completion in 2021, the 21,000 square foot Monastery is being built on the west side of flat pasture land for ease of construction and to preserve the more beautiful characteristics of the property. The monastery will continue to support the contemplative life and its connection to the natural environment.